Friday, January 15, 2010

Support The Troops

As friends, family and followers of my blog know, in November my baby brother Scott, left for Afghanistan (although he is taller than me he is still my baby brother).

One good thing with him being away is it has actually brought our School Community together (St. Bridget Catholic School in Brooklin). To celebrate the start of the advent season 148 families gathered in the school gym, picnic style, tape, wrapping paper, goodies and hot chocolate in hand and together we wrapped over 148 boxes filled with treats such as laminated fall leaves, books, candies, anything Canadian, gloves, postcards, letters, and games for the troops. All in attendance were asked to sign a beautiful banner to send to the troops - honestly I found it really hard to keep my eyes dry that night - to know that so many people supported not only my brother but also all the troops that would be away from family and loved ones during the holidays. I know for sure I am blessed to be part of such a great community and to have such a wonderful brother (my other brother is pretty cool too LOL)












- below are a few photo's from my brother when all the presents were received.




Cheers,

Heather

8 comments:

Andrea, Wes and Sarah said...

What a wonderful way for the community to get together and teach the children to remember that not everyone is home for Christmas and to support the troops. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that your brother comes home soon, safe and sound.

Karen said...

Aww Heather you should all be so proud of yourselfs for the way you have come together as a community,a family and a great support to Scott.

Louise M said...

Thanks so much for sharing those photos with me. I can't imagine having a brother abroad. I am so glad that a gesture that really seems so small to us made such an impact over seas. Especially when they are doign such a big job maintaining peace. Thanks again for sending this.
Happy New Year!

Louise M

Colleen L said...

This is wonderful! What a fantastic thing to do.

Jennifer B said...

Heather - your brother looks so much like Gavin!!

Kirsten said...

Very touching, Heather, thanks for sharing, that is awesome and inspiring!

Kathy S said...

Thanks for the update & we’ll keep your brother along with the rest of the troops in our prayers.

Kathy

Scott Corrigan said...

Hey Heather very well done. I am very proud to be over here doing what I am so that it stays on this side of the world and all of you never have to see it on our front steps.