Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On a personal note - I am one Lucky Girl

I am one lucky girl - I have a wonderful husband who supports me in my dreams, two wonderful boys who (at times) adore me and I am forever grateful for having these three wonderful men in my life. As they say a little girl always looks for the qualities of her father in her husband - and that I found - Randy you are my true inspiration and best friend.



Saying that - I was lucky to have the qualities of two father's to look for (don't know if Randy was all too lucky as I was looking for some pretty big shoes to fill). You see sadly on March 31, 1976 my Father - Pte. David Robert Ferguson was killed in action in Northern Ireland - leaving behind a widow who was just 21 and myself - I was only 6 months old.



It was a hard time for Mum (who I and in awe of her continued strength and determination). Mum and I came to Canada to be closer to family - and what a great decision that was for both of us - for in Canada she met my Dad - Douglas Corrigan - a warm, caring and wonderful man (let it be said that my Aunt's, Uncle's and extended family on this side also welcomed us with open arms and open hearts), and I now have two caring brothers, Kevin and Scott.



I found this poem and wanted to share

What Makes A Dad


A Dad is a person
who is loving and kind,
And often he knows
what you have on your mind.
He's someone who listens,
suggests, and defends.
A dad can be one
of your very best friends!
He's proud of your triumphs,
but when things go wrong,
A dad can be patient
and helpful and strong
In all that you do,
a dad's love plays a part.
There's always a place for him
deep in your heart.
And each year that passes,
you're even more glad,
More grateful and proud
just to call him your dad!
Thank you, Dad...
for listening and caring,
for giving and sharing,
but, especially, for just being you!

~Author Unknown~


To my Dad who gave me life - I Love You, To my Dad who gave me Love - I Love You!

To the Moon and Back

Heatherbell

6 comments:

tammy said...

You're great at making me cry Heather - but in a good way. What an amazing dedication. You're so talented in what you do.

Tammy

jennifer said...

Heather,



This is such a touching tribute to both your fathers, it actually brought tears to my eyes. I am giving you the biggest hug right now, they should be proud of how wonderful you are….



Jennifer

Darlene said...

Your email has made me think just how fortunate I am. I, too lost my dad 27 years ago. My mother never remarried but my relationship grew with my mom until she recently passed away this past November. You have such a great outlook on life and we all could learn a thing or two from you. Your inspiration and priceless photos show that we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Thanks again Heather, (although I did feel I was getting teary eyed reading the poem).

Darlene Woodland

drea said...

God Heather you know how to make someone cry........

mary jane said...

What beautiful words Heather! You are one special lady!

Mum (Agnes) said...

Heather ....you have done it this time I dont know what to say only that, I love you so much and Iam as proud off you today as the day that you were born .. I am the person that Iam today because off you ....you fought so hard to live I just borrowed some off your strength that was all .. we make a good tag team ..lol...love Mum xxxxxxx